My essay refinement process has
improved throughout the term. I think a big problem a lot of young writers have
is being too attached to their work. After writing a long piece, whether I
really believe that it is the best work I can produce, I will be too attached
to my work to intensely refine or scrap it. I’ve learned to detach myself from
my writing enough to realize when a piece isn’t going well, and how I can
immediately turn it around for the best. A major portion of that belief stems
from laziness. I remember used to saying to myself that why would I want to
restart this whole essay when I already put so much effort into it? What I’ve
come to learn that the final product is worth the extra effort put into the
refinement.
I was excited to start my extended
metaphor comparing anger to a cup of coffee. What I was not excited about, was
the turnout. The original version of the extended metaphor was not what I
wanted it to be, I did not go about it the way I should have. Even after
submitting it, I thought there was so much more I could have done with that
piece. For re-submission, I completely scrapped the entire extended metaphor,
except for the idea. The new result was on par with what I originally wanted:
You wait in line, order in mind.
After paying you wait at the counter, and pick up your drink. A table opens up
and you sit down, put your cup down and look at it. Steam ascends from the cup,
from the hot brown liquid. The sweet golden drizzle- once shaped like a leaf-
melts into the creamy foam, dissolving into the espresso and steamed milk. The
surface of your drink becomes one monochromatic khaki color, and the steam
subsides. You failed your exam, slept through lecture, lost your phone charger,
your entire family is coming to YOUR house for thanksgiving, and your bank
account balance matches your GPA. Anger is a cup of coffee. The bold, lively,
strong, rich and full hearted base of stress, with extra fluff added on top.
Steamed milk or soy, sugar, syrups, whipped cream, extra drizzle, mocha cookie
crumble and Brule crumbles on top and piled on, like homework, studying,
laundry or making that awkward thank you call to your aunt who sent you a card
on your birthday- which you swear you will make tomorrow. But right before you
want to scream "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE" - turkey leg in hand, you cool
off. The extra fluffy sugar in your life
melts, and the steam goes away. The result is sweet and strong.
I really liked the concept, and the potential of this piece,
but its execution went wrong. I had no trouble however, scrapping this entire
piece in order to write it more successfully. What I have taken away from this
term is learning to let go of a piece that you know you can make better with
extra effort.
I have also learned how to play
with, and manipulate my writing to produce a specific effect. I chose to pair
the 200 word sentence, and the six sentence piece because they both evoke two
distinct tones that contrast with each
other. The six sentence piece actually follows the 200 word sentence chronologically,
they are both on the same subject. In the 200 word sentence, I discuss my dazed
and confused emotions that bled into each other; versus the six word piece that
is clear, cut and concise, where I came
to terms with my emotions. I added the third paragraph as a conclusion that
merged the two types of syntax: long and loose versus terse.
No comments:
Post a Comment